martes, 23 de febrero de 2016

TOP 10 TUESDAY (#3): BOOKS THAT I ENJOYED NOT IN MY TYPICAL GENRE



*Top 10 Tuesday was created by the blog Broke and Bookish, if you want to see all the topics, past and future, you can go here.

Today's Top 10 Tuesday is about books in a genre you don't usually read, but that you have enjoyed. When I finished making the list and all was perfect, I realized that it was suposed to be books you had read recently. Fuck.

So, it's not going to be like that, there's books here I haven't read since the beginning of time.

I have the feeling that I fail every week. Last week I didn't even do it because, although, it was a reaaaally cool topic, it involved a lot of thinking. I don't like that. Oh, well.





10. Girl, Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen (english)



Girl, Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen

"Crazy isn't being broken or swallowing a dark secret. It's you or me amplified. If you ever told a lie and enjoyed it. If you ever wished you could be a child forever."

The first novel I read in english. Oohh, the first time!

I really liked the movie (And Winona. Forever) and I knew it was a book so I started looking for it in spanish. It doesn't exist for some reason.

Come on, Angelina Jolie won an Oscar for the movie adaptation and kissed her brother and all. Translate it, damn it!

I wanted to read it pretty badly and I knew everything that happened so I thought fuck it, english it is! And the rest, as they say, is history.

ADD to Goodreads



9. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (classic)



Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

"A lady's imagination is very rapid; it jumps from admiration to love, from love to matrimony in a moment."

I haven't read it yet (or in this case listened to it), as the last time I talked about it. Sorry again.

Everyone seems to love it and has thousands of adaptations so it's probably not bad, right?

I absolutely have to read more classic novels, I mean, I can't keep acting all highbrowish and intelectual with my blog and all if I haven't read books writen by people that died a shit-load of decadesdecades ago, right? She said half-joking...

ADD to Goodreads



8. Complete Shorter Fiction by Oscar Wilde (short stories)



Complete Short Stories by Oscar Wilde

"Any place you love is the world to you."

I loved this book, I cried and everything and I don't cry, because as that old as all hell song from Dirty Dancing rightly says, big girls don't cry. Oh, Dirty Dancing how I miss your... dirty dancers...?

What I'm even talking about? Nevermind.

It's a great book and made me interested in short stories, something I don't read a lot. Which is weird because I used to write short stories. Write what you know nothing about, right?

ADD to Goodreads



7. One Day by David Nicholls (romance)



One Day by David Nicholls

"Whatever happens tomorrow, we had today."

I usually don't read dramas or romances because I'm an insensitive bitch and love is dead, but this book (and the movie) broke me to pieces.

Maybe I shouldn't judge all romances just because of some books with weird-ass shirtless dudes on the cover?

Some of my favorite movies are pretty romantic, but I don't know what it is with books, I just need action and mutants or zombies or whatever. I'll try more.

ADD to Goodreads



6. Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare (play)



Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare

"Good night, good night! parting is such sweet sorrow, That I shall say good night till it be morrow."

It was the first (and only) play by William Shakespeare I read, like a thousand years ago, when I was a too romantic, for my own sake, teenager. And I loved it.

I have two editions, one in spanish and the other one in the original english version in one page and with the spanish traduction in the next, wich is pretty cool.

I remember I used to play the part of Juliet in my mind while reading it, like I was some big theater star. I was adorable, I know. And sad. Pretty sad.

Anyway, I have some more Shakespeare plays I have not read and I probably should. Again, to be as highbrowish I possibly can.

ADD to Goodreads



5. The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne (historical fiction)



The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne

"What exactly was the difference? he wondered to himself. And who decided which people wore the striped pajamas and which people wore the uniforms?"

Some people don't like this book and I don't understand it. Don't you have a heart, people? Are you made of stone? Come on...

I mean, I know that it takes a serious topic and makes it a little bit simplistic using as excuse the young age of the main characters. And that sometimes you can't help but think: little german dude, where have you been? Are you really that naïve? This is no fucking pajama party! But, he's only an inocent kid...

It made me ugly cry like a bicth and for a person that says she doesn't cry with books I have cried three times already in this list. Am I not as badass as I think I am?

ADD to Goodreads



4. Heavier Than Heaven: A Biography of Kurt Cobain by Charles R. Cross (biography)



Heaver Than Heaven: A Biography of Kurt Cobain by Charles R. Cross

"Kurt left in the early morning to walk around Aberdeen in the pale light of dawn. The storm had passed, birds were chirping, and everything in the world seemed more alive. He walked around for hours thinking about it all, waiting for school to begin, watching the sun come up, wondering where his life was heading."

Oh, Kurt, you fucking weird-ass and beautiful angel. Why, oh, why?

We miss you! With that voice, that raw talent, that sadness, anger and vulnerability! With that gorgeous face, those beautiful eyes that look right through your soul, wearing that guyliner before it was uncool. That fucking luscious hair!

Who wouldn't read a biography about his life? I sure as hell did, and not only because I will love him until the end of my days, but because, although he was an icon and helped change music, he was broken inside and that's always interesting to read about.

ADD to Goodreads



3. Dracula by Bram Stoker (audiobook)



Dracula by Bram Stoker

"There are darknesses in life and there are lights, and you are one of the lights, the light of all lights."

I think that sometimes I find a little bit daunting reading classics, I don't know why. Maybe it's the pressure. You are suposed to like them, so what if you don't? Maybe it's the use of the language. English it's not my first language, so what if I don't understand anything? What if i find it boring or outdated or long or...?

There are so many books I want to read that I know for sure that I'm going to enjoy, that is difficult for me to make time to try books that maybe aren't for me. That's why I'm trying out audiobooks, you can listen to them when you are doing other things, or going to work, or riding the bus... and then when you actually want to sit down and read, you can pick up a book more your style.

I haven't finished this one yet but I'm really enjoying it (I love the movie from 1992 and that helps), so with audiobooks I think I've found the best way for me to get fully immersed in the world of classic literature.

ADD to Goodreads



2. Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Omnibus Vol.1 by Joss Whedon, Christopher Golden... (graphic novel)



Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Omnibus Vol.1 by Joss Whedon, Christopher Golden...

"Let me get this straight. You're like, some kind of maniac, and I have to go to the cementery with you 'cause I'm chosen and there are vampires?"

This book made me hate Buffy the Vampire Slayer a little less, because I really don't like it at all. YEAH, RIGHT.

I love Buffy, obviously, and I've read a bunch of graphic novels that I liked, but I'm still not that used to it. I want to get over it and read non Buffy related ones, because some of them look really good.

I find it difficult to concentrate and to fully understand and enjoy the story. I don't really know why, because when I was little I read comic books. Maybe I'm getting stupider by the day. Who knows?

ADD to Goodreads



1. A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire #1) by George R.R. Martin (adult fantasy)



Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire #1) by George R.R. Martin

"Fear cuts deeper than swords."

I love fantasy, but I read mainly young adult fantasy. But A Song of Ice and Fire is A Song of Ice and Fire, you know? You kinda have to read it.

I started watching the show thinking it would maybe disappoint me, because it was sooo hyped up, and at first, although I liked, it I didn't love it. But then... GOD I NEED THIS SHOW FOREVER AND EVER.

When season five ended, I didn't know what to do with my life. How on earth I was gonna wait for almost a year? That's when I started with the books and fell in love again.

ADD to Goodreads






2 comentarios:

  1. I so agree with what you said about classics. It's hard for me to purposely pick up books I know I probably won't like when I have such limited amount of time to read all the books I actually want to read! But I do want to read more classics too, and I have been meaning to read Dracula for the longest time. This year. Maybe this year will finally be the year I do it lol.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Seriously, with audiobooks I've found the light! It's sooo much easier.
      I used to be really obsessed with vampires when I was a teenager, now not so much because I think it's been a little bit overdone. But I just had to read Dracula. He's THE vampire, you know? lol
      Thanks for your comment! S.

      Eliminar

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...